Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Writing Prompt Wednesday # 2

One of the most difficult parts of being an author is sitting down and writing. Creating a habit around writing can really help with this challenge. I've found that forcing yourself to write daily, even if it isn't writing in your current work-in-progress, is a great way to build that habit. There are many ways to do this, one very popular way is to use daily writing prompts.

I thought it would be fun to have a weekly writing prompt challenge. So on Wednesdays I plan to post a writing prompt challenge, with a paranormal theme (of course) to help inspire the writer in you. The challenge is simple. Set an alarm on your phone for thirty minutes to one hour. Get inspired by the prompt and create a scene or two. I'll share mine in the post. Don't worry about editing your work, the key is to simply build a habit around writing, editing comes after you get the story out. You don't need to share your work, you can keep it in your own personal journal and maybe use it for a future story, but I'd love to hear if this challenge is beneficial to you. Let me know in the comment section below.

As a life coach and hypnotherapist I've helped many people with relationship and dating issues, and as an author of paranormal romance, dating and romance runs the gauntlet in my stories. I have two series that focus specifically on dating (Dating a Werewolf and Aphrodite's Love Connection). It's a great topic with so many possibilities. With part four of Rhyme's Reason (Dating a Werewolf) and Bear-i-licious Cowboy (Aphrodite's Love Connection) upcoming releases, I thought it would be fun to focus on dating for this week's writing prompt.

Writing Prompt # 2

You work for a dating service and have been tasked with creating a perfect blind date for a potential high profile match (try a vampire prince and a medium or maybe a werewolf and a witch... or create your own supernatural couple).

Ready, set, go!

"No, the date has to be after nightfall, preferably two hours after the sun goes down." I huffed into the phone. Aimee's assistant was being extremely difficult on hashing out the details for this date and if I didn't make something happen soon, my boss was going to make my life a living hell.

"As you can imagine, Miss. Jackson's busiest time is after the sun goes down. I'm sure she doesn't want to be interrupted by a ghost or two during her first date." The man's nasally voice repeated the same answer he'd given five times in the last twenty minute conversation.

"She is going on a date with a vampire, I'm sure a little ghost interruption is par for the course." I argued.

"My sources tell me the Prince is a day walker. Can't he make an adjustment to his schedule? Miss. Jackson is, after all, a famous television medium."

"We're all aware of her fame, Mr. Blake." I took a deep breath and refused to finish my thought out loud, but I think being a prince trumps out being a television reality show star. This match was far from being made in heaven, but my boss was positive it would be a love match, if we could just get the two of them together in a room.

"I'm sorry, Miss. Jackson is not going to budge on this point. If you want to make this arrangement happen, he will need to be open to a daytime date." The assistant hung up the phone.

"Fudge cakes!" I slammed the phone back on the receiver and leaned back in my chair. I squeezed the bridge of my nose to help fight off the migraine that was beginning to form in my head. Mario made it clear this needed to happen this week. We were down on our quotas and after three months of poor matchmaking results, we didn't have much wiggle room.

I flipped on the computer screen and examined Prince Donovan and Aimee Jackson's profiles side by side. They were definitely an good looking couple. She had dark exotic looks with long wavy hair surrounding a heart shaped, tan face and he brought forth an air of royalty with his dark hair, chiseled jaw, and demanding eyes. There was something about his grey eyes that seemed to capture my attention every time I looked at him. He made my insides turn to jelly over a picture, it would be interesting to see the affect he would have on me when we finally met in person. None of it mattered, he was out of my league and ear marked for another client. If I could just find a way to get them together.

My eyes roamed the profiles and an idea started forming. It was going to take some maneuvering, but I had the beginning of a plan. I grabbed my purse and keys and headed for the door.

End of Sample...

Once you get started the stories will start flowing. I've already decided this rough draft writing sample will be used in the second book of the Aphrodite's Love Connection series. Now that I've started the idea, it's time to create an outline and schedule the writing time for the next book. Sometimes this happens with writing prompts and sometimes you create something that can be saved for later use when you least expect it. The idea isn't about creating something you can use all the time, it is more about creating a habit around writing. Now it's your turn. Set your timers and see what you can come up with from the writing prompt provided above. Don't forget to let me know what you think of these Wednesday challenge posts in the comment section below. Happy writing.

I mentioned a couple series in the blog post above.

Aphrodite's Love Connection and Dating a Werewolf. Check them out at the links below.

Bear-i-licious Cowboy is the first book in the Aphrodite's Love Connection series. It is available for a limited time in the Once Upon a Midnight Anthology for only $0.99 on most major retailers.

Once Upon a Midnight

Amazon US
Amazon UK
Barnes and Noble Nook
iBooks
Kobo



Bear-i-licious Cowboy for individual sale at $2.99. Grab it in the Once Upon a Midnight Anthology set for only $0.99 (links above) by November 2nd for a great deal on this book and 19 other great reads by some very talented authors.

Amazon US
Amazon UK




Dating a Werewolf Series contains Rayne's Thunder, Rhyme's Reason, and coming soon, River's Fire. Rayne's Thunder is available as the complete serial or you can get each individual part here. Rhyme's Reason will be complete by the end of 2016. Check out each part here. The complete serial set will be available by mid December. River's Fire will be released as a complete story in the first half of 2017.





No comments:

Post a Comment