Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Writing Prompt Wednesday...

I've decided to start a new weekly blog post to help inspire myself and others to start writing. Each Wednesday I am going to post a writing prompt and my response to the prompt. I encourage you to join in on the fun. Post your own response in comment section below... share it out and invite others to join in the fun.

Why I am doing this? Writing is hard. Creating a daily writing habit is hard. Authors, bloggers, and anyone else who writes daily will tell you it can be difficult and finding inspiration is a big factor in this. These writing prompts are designed to help generate inspiration. I challenge you to write anywhere from 100 to 1000 words in response to the writing prompt. Even if you don't want to share it on the post, start a journal and do your own daily writing prompts. Before long, you might find you've built a habit about writing.

I thought it would be fun to tie it into my story Bear-i-licious Cowboy which is my newest release on pre-order for $2.99 on Kindle or for a limited time it is available for only $0.99 in the Once Upon a Midnight Anthology set where ALL proceeds are going to the Epilepsy Foundation.



In Bear-i-licious Cowboy, the very human Ashlee is exposed to the paranormal world through a dating company called Aphrodite's Love Connection (a dating connection company that pairs supernatural creatures with their mates run by Aphrodite herself and her son Eros). The reason for the dating connection company is that hate has taken center stage in the world and love has been knocked out of balance. Aphrodite and Eros need to bring love back to the masses to keep an apocalypse from happening. They do this, one couple at a time (each book is a stand alone romance).



Ashlee isn't receptive to the paranormal world. She has the idea that it only exists in fiction, but is forced into this world by a series of unfortunate events. It made for some great internal and external conflict.

Working off the same idea (being forced into a paranormal situation that the character once thought could only be a work of fiction), here is this week's writing prompt....

The main character has been kidnapped by an angry witch. How does he or she escape? (To make it interesting, you're main character doesn't believe in magic or the supernatural)...

My response...

Terror climbed up my spine like a thousand tiny spider legs, causing my skin to pimple in goosebumps and a shiver to run through my body. I wrestled with the ropes that bound my hands, each movement cut into my skin like sharp razor blades, but the pain wasn't my concern, my only thought was to escape. I'd been taught to engage the kidnapper into conversation, a way to humanize myself and possibly find a way to freedom and would've loved to make that happen had I not had a filthy rag stuffed in my mouth and bound by another rope around my head. Every attempt to dislodge the fabric left me gagging. 

I stared at my captor, she was a pretty woman with long dark hair and sharp green eyes. I didn't know her. This made the fear run deeper because I knew she had no attachment to me either. I needed to find out why I was here, but was helpless to do that in the position she'd left me. There was another woman beside me in the same predicament. Her skin and hair were matted in dirt from the floor beneath our feet. She'd cried rivers of tears if the deep grooves on her cheeks were any indication and had been there much longer than I had been.  

The kidnapper was mixing some herbs in a large black pot, heated by a campfire below. She tossed in a dead chicken and a poof of smoke exploded from the cauldron and ignited again when she spoke strange words from an unknown language. When she was done, she turned to us. "Now all that is left is your sacrifice. Who would like to go first?" She moved her index finger from me to the other girl reciting the nursery rhyme, 'iney, miney, moe'.

I closed my eyes before she even finished the childhood game, I knew it would be me. This woman was going to sacrifice me for some ridiculous ritual. I needed to find a way to escape and this was my only chance.  

"Looks like you won." She clapped her hands with joyful glee as she pulled me up and moved me toward the cauldron. 

I resisted, dragging my feet and trying to maneuver out of her vice like grasp. When my bound hands smack her across the face, the glee in her eyes disappeared and was replaced with something far more menacing. She grabbed my hair and snapped my head over the boiling water. "I was trying to be nice. You were going to be the vessel for sister's soul, but now you'll be the blood sacrifice." She pulled out a wicked looking knife and placed it at my throat. 

I reacted. Survival my only focus. I kicked back and made contact with her leg. She lost her grip on the knife. Turning around I charged her and sent her flying backward against the cavern's stone wall. Luck had her hitting her head and she crumbled to the ground. I ran to the other girl and we removed each other's gags. 

"Hurry, we need to get out of here before she regains consciousness." The scared prisoner laced her fingers in mine and we ran for the exit. We'd escape, call the authorities, and the strange, delusional woman would be put back in the insane asylum where she belonged. 

Whew, that was fun. The above may or may not go in a story someday, but it definitely inspired me to write some more on my current work-in-progress. Now it is your turn. See what you can come up with. Share it below if you like or  put it in a writing journal for you to use in later projects.

Be sure to subscribe to this blog so you can join in on more of these fun activities in future posts. Have a wonderful day...


No comments:

Post a Comment